LOW POROSITY FOAMS
For low-porosity closed cell foams, bubbles or cavities can be treated as a dispersed phase, while the surrounding host medium is a continuous phase. In various situations, the presence of bubbles affects the thermophysical and radiative properties of the two-phase system. Earlier investigations pointed out the effects of bubbles on the scattering characteristics of semitransparent systems, particularly in the visible and infrared spectral ranges. In natural phenomena and the manufacturing process, the influence of bubbles on scattering of light in the ocean (Zhang et al., 1998) and the gl ...
- Bohren, C. F. and Huffman, D. R., Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, New York: Wiley, 1983.
- Dombrovsky, L. A., Radiation Heat Transfer in Disperse Systems, New York: Begell House, 1996.
- Dombrovsky, L. A., The propagation of infrared radiation in a semitransparent liquid containing gas bubbles, High Temp., vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 133-139, 2004.
- Dombrovsky, L. A. and Baillis, D., Thermal Radiation in Disperse Systems: An Engineering Approach, Redding, CT: Begell House, 2010.
- Dombrovsky, L., Randrianalisoa, J., Baillis, D., and Pilon, L., Use of Mie theory to analyze experimental data to identify infrared properties of fused quartz containing bubbles, Appl. Opt., vol. 44, no. 33, pp. 7021-7031, 2005.
- Dombrovsky, L., Randrianalisoa, J., and Baillis, D., Infrared radiative properties of polymer coatings containing hollow microspheres. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 50, no. 7-8, pp. 1516-1527, 2007.
- Durant, S., Calvo-Perez, O., Vukadinovich N., and Greffet J.-J. (2007) Light scattering by a random distribution of particles embedded in absorbing media: full wave Monte Carlo solutions of the extinction coefficient,J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 2953-2962, 2007.
- Fedorov, A. G. and Pilon, L., Glass foam: Formation, transport properties, and heat, mass, and radiation transfer, J. Non-Cryst. Solids, vol. 311, no. 2, pp. 154-173, 2002.
- Manara, J., Caps, R., Raether, F., and Fricke, J., Characterization of the pore structure of alumina ceramics by diffuse radiation propagation in the near infrared, Opt. Commun., vol. 168, no. 1-4, pp. 237-250, 1999.
- Manara, J., Reidinger, M., Korder, S., Arduini-Schuster, M., and Fricke, J., Development and characterization of low-emitting ceramics, Int. J. Thermophys., vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 1628-1645, 2007.
- Mishchenko, M. I., Travis, L. D., and Macke, A., T-matrix method and its applications, in Light scattering by nonspherical particles: theory, measurements, and applications, eds. Mishchenko, M. I., Travis, L. D., Hovenier, J. W., San Diego: Academic, pp. 147-172, 2000.
- Randrianalisoa, J. and Baillis, D., Radiative transfer in dispersed media: Comparison between homogeneous phase and multiphase approaches, ASME J. Heat Transfer, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 023405.1-023405.11, 2010a.
- Randrianalisoa, J., Baillis, D., and Pilon, L., Modeling radiation characteristics of semitransparent media containing bubbles or particles, J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1645-1656, 2006.
- Randrianalisoa, J. and Baillis, D., Radiative properties of densely packed spheres in semitransparent media: A new geometric optics approach, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transf. vol. 111, no. 10, pp. 1372-1388, 2010b.
- Randrianalisoa, J., Coquard, R., and Baillis, D., Radiative transfer in two-phase material, in Heat Transfer in Multi-Phase Materials, eds. Öchsner, A. and Murch, G. E., Springer, Heidelberg, Berlin, 2011.
- Zhang, X., Lewis, M., and Johnson, B., Influence of bubbles on scattering of light in the ocean, Appl. Opt., vol. 37, no. 27, pp. 6525-6536. 1998.